McElhanney is growing and has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Landscape Architect to join our Public Realm and Recreation Infrastructure (PR2I) team in Calgary. The PR2I team specializes in provincial and federal parks, streetscapes, urban and natural parks, cycling and trails infrastructure – across a spectrum of scale. The Landscape Architect is responsible for providing landscape architecture services to our clients, understanding the marketplace, pursuing project opportunities, developing new business, and collaborating with our planning and engineering groups to provide complementary services on their projects. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with excellent leadership, technical proficiency, and project management skills.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Meet with existing and potential clients to develop and maintain business within Calgary and other municipalities across the southern Alberta region
- Manage and deliver projects within the broad spectrum of the landscape architectural practice including master planning, concept design, design development, detail design, presentation of design work to clients and stakeholder groups
- Deliver site planning, concept development, detail design, cost estimating, contract document preparation, tender and contract administration services including inspection and construction management
- Support multi-disciplinary practice across our western Canadian branches
- Collaborate with senior landscape architects on complex designs, plans, calculations and surveys.
- Communicate with clients and colleagues regarding projects. Investigate design and construction conflicts, discuss solutions with the Division or Branch Manager and implement solutions. Provide site administration services on landscape architecture projects, which may require travel as appropriate.
- Develop unique landscape architectural specifications, techniques or modifications to concepts and/or product techniques and materials and make recommendations to Division or Branch Manager for implementation.
- Provide technical guidance to landscape architects, engineers, landscape architectural technologists and other staff assigned to common projects. Coordinate work schedules to ensure timely completion of projects and efficient use of resources from concept through construction.
What You’ll Bring:
- Degree in Landscape Architecture from an accredited program (BLA or MLA) with full membership in the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects (AALA)
- 15+ years of work experience in Western Canada with a background in private or public practice will be considered
- Strong network / relationships with urban and rural municipal staff and departments
- Well versed in project development, design development and contract and proposal preparation
- Well-rounded presentation hand drawing and communication skills are a necessity
- Experience in construction administration and production of contract documents
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and vehicle is required
- Preference given to candidates with specialist credentials such as LEED, LEED ND, or Envision Accreditation
What Can We Offer You?
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee & Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support online or over the phone
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Competitive salary, participation in our generous performance bonus plan, and opportunity to join an employee-owned firm with potential share ownership
- Continuous support for your growth through professional development reimbursement, mentorship programs, and opportunity to join numerous internal committees.
For a full review of our projects, please visit our online portfolio: https://www.mcelhanney.com/portfolio
Based in Western Canada for over 110 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,000 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
Download Job Attachment