Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
Stantec Landscape Architecture is an award-winning practice with over 250 talented designers and technicians collaborating globally. Our landscape architecture practice leads rewarding and transformational assignments within our 23,000-person interdisciplinary design firm. Our local and global presence provides extraordinary project opportunities for our staff and offers a collaborative work environment that encourages research and development and creativity and innovation in the performance of our work.
Stantec’s Edmonton studio is seeking an intermediate Landscape Architect to join our team. The successful candidate will assist our team with design development, presentations, project documentations, specifications, and delivery and implementation. If successful, you will have the opportunity to lead assignments across design disciplines, manage multiple assignments and interact with existing and prospective clients and professionals across many disciplines. Candidate must demonstrate exemplary written and digital communication skills and a strategic and design-oriented perspective.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Assisting and supporting the Landscape Architects in concept design development and provide cost estimating take-offs and summary, detail design services, contract document preparation and undertake various field services such as site inventories and construction inspection and reports
- Translating concept plans through to design development plans
- Preparing construction documents, using computer aided drafting (CAD), including layout plans, planting plans, irrigation plans, grading plans, design details, construction detailing, cost estimates and specifications
- May be required to develop Sketchup models and renderings and
- Preparing presentation, marketing drawings and supporting materials
- Preparing presentation graphics, reports and exhibits for conceptual designs, master plans, client meetings, and workshops
- Assisting design team on a variety of design and development related projects, undertaking research and design-based development investigations
- Communicating with other multidisciplinary team members on relevant aspects of projects
- Completing projects within a pre-determined time basis regarding both budget and schedules
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation
- Creative designer and problem solver who is solutions focused
- Excellent design ability, concept creation and graphic communication skills
- Experience with project coordination for both public and private sector clients
- Proficiency in schematic design, design development and preparation of construction documents and specifications
- High level of proficiency in AutoCAD, Land F/X, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) – working knowledge of 3D software application considered a bonus
- Significant technical knowledge and awareness to be able to recognize when technical problems are developing and to initiate appropriate corrective actions
- Intermediate knowledge of construction methods and experience in construction administration and on-site construction observation
- Understanding of budgets and ability to manage project financials
- Familiarity with contemporary landscape architectural projects
- High level of comfort in engaging with all potential project stakeholders, from community members to governmental officials
- Strong understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions -significant local jurisdictional experience and established contacts considered a bonus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, email etiquette, grammar and networking
- Ability to read and manipulate maps, data management, statistical analysis and other technical support tasks
- Strong skills in time management, organization and meeting deadlines
- Works independently without the need for frequent check-ins or reviews of work
- Team player with leadership capability
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in planning or landscape architecture related discipline is preferred or completion of a 2-year technical accreditation in planning or landscape architecture program from a recognized educational institution.
5 - 10 years of professional related experience after diploma. Passing or in the process of taking the LARE exam. Registration as a Landscape Architect and full member of CSLA or ASLA is preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.