Purpose of Position:
The Landscape Architect/Manager is responsible for planning, design, and project management of outdoor space for all KD Planning clients and projects. Handles a project from inception to completion and works closely with the client, consultants, jurisdictional authorities and contractors to ensure that designs are functional, safe, cost-effective and sustainable. Other duties include business development, staff leadership and professional representation.
Location: Abbotsford or Vancouver
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Marketing and Business Development of landscape design consulting services independently and in collaboration with the Krahn Group of Companies.
2. Achieve forecasted annual gross revenue - determined annually and reviewed quarterly with VP, Operations.
3. Responsible to oversee the day-to-day operations of KD Planning; including staff and client management, budgets and schedules and reporting.
4. Develop and lead a business plan for KD Planning with the VP, Operations.
5. Aid in the expansion of offices.
6. Manage all cost elements within the department, particularly labour efficiency and project delivery to maximize profitability.
7. Oversee performance management practices on coaching, training, and evaluation for Landscape staff.
8. Assign projects to staff; set priorities and adjust workload accordingly.
9. Analyze market, trends, staffing, and resource needs to establish strategies for growth.
10. Prepare the annual budget; estimate staffing, training, and other operational needs.
11. Develop and implement standards and procedures for the department.
12. Ensure projects are delivered in accordance with the Request for Proposal (RFP) and contract.
13. Design, plan, administer, manage and supervise landscape architecture services.
14. Prepare fee and scope proposals for submission to the client.
15. Prepare budgets and schedules by projecting resource needs and determining priorities.
16. Produce and review detailed drawings and specifications with assistance from drafting staff.
17. Follow the project design requirements as set out by the Project Manager and Senior Design Lead on each project.
18. Coordinate landscape designs with other in-house engineering and design disciplines.
19. Prepare design presentations and deliver to Advisory Design Panel forums and client representatives as required.
20. Prepare tender documentation and supplemental information.
21. Administer construction contracts.
22. Conduct site inspections and construction reviews.
23. Liaise with clients, contractors and government approval agencies.
24. Meet project deadlines and timelines. Respond to clients in a timely, respectful and comprehensive manner.
25. Collaborate with other office staff in delivering quality production and exceptional client service. Meet Krahn’s design standards and criteria.
26. Conduct post-project reviews to identify areas for improvement; make recommendations based on findings.
27. Take on additional responsibilities as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
• Ability to provide innovative design and cost-effective solutions
• Solid knowledge of landscape construction
• Proficiency in MS Office and landscape design software e.g. Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp etc.
• Strong project management skills
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Self-starter and team player.
Experience, Training, Certification and Education:
• Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture or Landscape Technician Diploma.
• Registered as Landscape Architect with British Columbia Society of Landscape Architects and Alberta Landscape Architects Association
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in landscape design, preferably in an Engineering Consulting environment.
• Minimum 2 years of experience leading a team.
• Arborist certification is considered an asset.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• A valid driver's license.
• Office environment.
• Some travel may be required between Vancouver and Abbotsford
Why Krahn Group of Companies:
Established in 1984, Krahn is proud of the strength and depth of engineering and building design service the organization has achieved through our multi-discipline approach and the longevity of our employees. Our employees bring professionalism, wisdom and character to complement their engineering qualifications and knowledge. We believe in nurturing and leading individuals with different experience levels to help them succeed. Additionally, our employees gain the advantage of working with a multi-disciplinary model that enables them to enhance their knowledge through project partnerships. Through this approach, our employee’s knowledge and character become greater, and their experience more conceptual and to a greater depth. We strongly believe in continuous development and providing opportunities for our employees to become leaders presenting them with the opportunity of having a career of longevity and diversity as we continue to grow.
In addition to rewarding job opportunities and continuous learning and growth, we offer an attractive employee compensation package including:
Applications can be done via the Krahn website or by sending an email to HR@Krahn.com.