Through design, we empower communities and help realize their potential. Our landscape architects create inspired spaces that reflect context and user needs along with our commitment to sustainability. We take a collaborative approach to design and believe that the best solutions are the product of diverse perspectives.
Stantec Landscape Architecture is an award-winning practice with over 250 talented designers and technicians collaborating globally. Our landscape architecture practice leads rewarding and transformational assignments within our 23,000-person interdisciplinary design firm. Our local and global presence provides extraordinary project opportunities for our staff and offers a collaborative work environment that encourages research and development and creativity and innovation in the performance of our work. Stantec Landscape Architecture is firmly committed to design excellence in our core sectors: parks and plazas, waterfronts, streetscapes, campus planning, master-planned communities, naturalized habitats, greenways, cultural facilities, sports, resiliency, and transportation.
Stantec’s Edmonton studio is seeking an Senior Landscape Architect to join our team. The successful candidate will assist our team with design development, presentations, project documentations, specifications, deliveries and implementations. If successful, you will have the opportunity to lead and manage multiple assignments, interact with existing and prospective clients and professionals across many disciplines. Candidate must demonstrate exemplary written and digital communication skills and a strategic and design-oriented perspective.
Your Key Responsibilities
- A team leader with the position and responsibility for design excellence, project management, client development and maintenance and staff mentoring and development;
- Undertake responsibility of leading projects and team for client projects, internal discipline specific teams and coordinate on regional collaboration throughout Western Canada and beyond as opportunities arise;
- Execute and manage complex landscape architectural designs and work with others through design development and construction document phases to execute built work;
- Serve as a technical design expert for projects and supervise and manage work through junior staff to develop and execute design;
- Site analysis and design concept development including digital and hand-illustrated deliverables suitable to communicate design intent to clients and staff;
- Project scoping, scheduling and concept design through construction phase project management;
- Oversight and leadership on analysis, design reports and master plan level graphics and narrative;
- Interface directly with clients and able to provide clear, well-articulated and solution-oriented recommendations;
- Maintain and strengthen client relationships and play a key role in client management and satisfaction;
- Client interaction and representation of our practice for projects, project pursuits, strategic initiatives, promotional events and business development in collaboration with our practice leadership;
- Project development through relationships, vision, and leveraging in-house expertise and client position;
- Identify opportunities for growth and strengthen the existing client base and service offerings of our Landscape Architecture team;
- Demonstrate high levels of self-awareness and emotional intelligence;
- Plan and manage projects and tasks to complete projects on time and within budget;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment; and,
- Excellent design, graphic, computer, written and verbal communication skills with a comfort in managing complex projects and providing design leadership on a wide variety of projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience in a consulting role with both private and public sector clients/projects and an established network of clients; existing relationships in the Edmonton and Western Canada region is an asset;
- Demonstrate success on interdisciplinary and complex assignments;
- Strong knowledge of landscape architecture best practices and ability lead multi-disciplinary teams to provide innovative and integrated landscape architecture solutions;
- Excellent creative thinking and design abilities, with an ability to integrate sustainable design in urban and suburban context, and a familiarity with contemporary landscape architecture – peers, trends, research, and transformational projects;
- Design and thought leadership pertaining to a wide variety of project types and locations – from rural to urban;
- Ability to mentor, coach, teach, empower, inspire and motivate co-workers, working to engage and retain talent;
- Experience with business development, securing new clients/work, and developing strategic plans for professional practice in landscape architecture;
- Sound knowledge of industry practice and demonstrated commitment to excellence in customer service;
- Well-versed in local, regional, national and global trends in landscape architecture, urban design and planning;
- Excellent written and graphic communication skills, including hand drawing, sketching and visualization techniques, computer literacy in word processing and other standard office software, a depth of knowledge in the Adobe creative suite, In-Design, Sketch-Up and general knowledge of ACAD systems is an asset or similar platforms at a supervisory level of effectiveness is an asset;
- Strong communication, negotiation, interpersonal and time management skills with the ability to function in a high volume, challenging environment;
- Experience managing staff, consultants, project teams, client relationships and complex projects;
- Superior research, analytical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Willingness to travel as project opportunities arise (typically 1 to 3-day duration, approximately 1 to 2 times per month); and,
- Excellent professional references from client and professional design consultants.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in planning or landscape architecture related discipline is preferred or completion of an accredited planning or landscape architecture education program from a recognized educational institution. 10+ years of professional related experience after diploma/degree. Registration as a Landscape Architect in Canadian province(s) and/or the US and full member of CSLA or ASLA is required. Ability to be licensed in Alberta is required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.